Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Big Bang Theory

Whoa!!  What is that???!!!  Could it be?...... a random man fishing in...... YELLOWSTONE!!!!!!  Huzzah!!!!!  I did indeed return to my good ol' Montana home last month to bask in the splendour of mountains, wildlife, and rivers, and veg around my parents' house eating all of their food.  Ahh, that's the good life.  Ya.







 All right, it appears as though I've messed up the order of pics whilst trying to place text and Blogger will not let me correct....  (Does anybody else have this kind of problem????  Blogger hates me.)  Anyway..... It's The Parents!!  My mother has opted to keep her shoes on for this trip along the Old Faithful boardwalks.... ;)


Yay!!  We have returned to the land of thermal features!!!!   We need only to flee the boardwalks and head into the surrounding forests to find our own hidden hot pools.... Who knows what's beyond those trees.... 


Old Faithful Inn!!  And another hot pool!!  It doesn't get any better.


And, of course, no online photo journal of Yellowstone would be complete without a shot of Old Faithful.  As we waited for the eruption (or is it "explosion"?!?!  That's right, everyone.... we are chillin' in the Immediate Kill Zone.  Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn....), we listened to a riveting explanation of Yellowstone's geothermal history delivered by a most attractive park ranger.  O, the people you shall meet within the park....



 
What up, Pete?!  I was shluffing out cabin rooms in Canyon the last time I saw you!  Time to load up the vacuum! 


I have perhaps viewed the sun in Norris Geyser Basin once.... Every other single time the area has been veiled in a heavy fog.... a fog that does not persist throughout the surrounding areas of the basin.... what up with that....


The sun was perfectly visible just 30 minutes later at Artist Point.  Such a thrilling sight!!  Now let's simply jump the canyon and settle ourselves in to watch people from the hidden confines of The Cave!!


We wrapped up the second day of our Yellowstone Trip in Mammoth.  As the hot park ranger at Old Faithful reminded us, the structures of Mammoth are composed of travertine, which grows much more quickly than deposits of silica.   Aww yeah.

I am now back in Kentucky.  Sad day.  However, I feel that my next visit to the park (which shall include backcountry wanderings.... we're off to finally find Tomato Soup!!) will take place sooner rather than later.  Hurray!!


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment